Tuesday 18 June 2024

The Magic Number of 100000


 "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step." This is an old Chinese saying and so apt. When one commences any task or embarks on a new unexplored vista, one doesn't know how far and how long will it go on. Today as I celebrate the 100000 (one lakh) hits on my blog, I am reminded of this very adage. I have always enjoyed putting pen to paper and realised that even this ‘nonsense’ of mine did make some sense after all. 

I was probably in my class 3 when I wrote my first Hindi story, it was about a blade of grass, which was  in sorrow and pain as all other plants had beautiful flowers and she was not so blessed, till finally she also saw little buds sprouting as it too flowered. My parents were very proud and showed it to all the guests and they too patted me for this original idea and for my little baby steps in creativity. I did indulge in writing and publishing articles in RIMC Chronicle later, but the language continued to be Hindi. While in NDA, I was still writing in Hindi but was more into poetry but did not offer it for publication in the magazine. I did share it with a couple of my friends and also my parents while on vacation. Somewhere in the intervening period I switched from Hindi to English and have stuck to it. The first break came my way when my article, "Uxorious" was published in Deccan Herald and it won me a microwave in 2001. The same year I also won the second prize in USI Gold Medal Essay Competition. But then the demands of a very hectic professional career took precedence and I bided my time till after my command when I got posted to the salubrious environs of Wellington as Directing Staff.

All the drudgery of corrections of students officers submissions would make anybody look at some other forays, an occasional game of squash did provide some respite, as I had not taken to Golf till then. But it was the keyboard of the laptop  which came to my rescue and became my  best friend and that is where I contributed two three articles for The Hoot, the DSSC monthly newsletter. The first one was on Sixth Pay Commission and that was also my first blog, which I published on 2nd Apr 2009. It should ideally have been launched on 1st Apr, as the title that I had chosen was, "Sense in the Nonsense"!  First couple of them barely had any responses, but the pleasure and feeling of writing was exhilarating and so I just carried on. In Sanskrit they say "स्वांतः सुखाय (swantah sukhay)", which literally means, "for my own pleasure”, this was precisely that pleasure.  Initially the frequency was also less, but  gradually as I started to hit the keyboard more frequently as the viewership, i.e. hits on the blog kept multiplying. It was celebration time, when the blog hit 1000, and then a time came when, some of my blogs registered an all-time high hit of  3500. The topics were not chosen in any particular pattern, just what came to my mind. I realised that life in NDA and our training period made interesting reading, so very many of my blogs focussed on those aspects. Our politicians have the foot in the mouth syndrome and picking on them was quite funny and interesting. Topics as diverse as Capsicum to Donald Trump, Ripped Jeans to Tool Kit, UN tenure to Moustaches, Doctors to Rail Travails, Ants in the Pants of air travellers to Covid, Mosquito Menace to Delhi Belly or on a sombre note the tribute to my mother and two brave-hearts of Indian Army have been traversed in these years of blogging. A total of more than 200 odd blogs have been published over the years.The blogs provided me with an outlet to let my creative juices flow, it also resulted in publication of three books.

I was asked by my friends as to why didn't I monetise my blog, well frankly I am not very keen, as technically I am still in uniform. May be someday when I am a senior citizen and a settled veteran, I may consider it. As of now I am happy that these blogs bring a smile on the faces of  my readers and followers of the blog, their comments are very encouraging and spur me on to bash on regardless!



55 comments:

VM said...

Congratulation sir. You have come a long way. Wishing you success in future endeavours too

Shiraz Varma said...

Congratulations... You're lakhpati now

Siddhant said...

Heartiest Congratulations sir… Miles to go…

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, sir!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations sir !!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up
Heartiest congratulations

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you are a Lakhpati and looking forward Crorepati 🙏

Anonymous said...

Mubarakaan 👍 Here's Wishing that you hit newer milestones ahead. Cheers 🥂

Anonymous said...

Congratulations 🎉. Keep writing, it's a wonderful hobby

S.K. Dwivedi said...

Congratulations for hitting the target of one lakh and my good wishes for your future blogs.I still remember the Chronicles of RIMC . Good luck Suyash.

ggpamidi said...

Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...more power to your pen👏👏

SG said...

Congratulations Sir, A milestone crossed and many more to come ...

Anonymous said...

More success to you sir!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Suyash, best wishes

Vivek Verma said...

Heartiest wishes and more power to the pen and to your your sensory perceptions

Anonymous said...

Congratulations dear...Keep going ...Best Wishes

Sanjeev Pandit said...

Heartiest congratulations Suyash! You are a person of immense talent and potential. I have seen you as a person who is very organised and consistent. I strongly suggest, when you bid your final adieu to the Olive Greens, please devote a part of your time for delivering motivational lectures for the youth of MP, giving examples from your first hand experiences. You can also guide them about the mechanics of choosing a career and preparing to get there. And what better place to start with - our 2 MP Armoured Squadron. Please get in touch with the NCC Group Cdr at Radio Colony regarding your guest lectures at the NCC Camps held in Indore and it's environs, when the time comes.
God bless !

Anonymous said...

Congrats Suyash. Keep them coming.

GS Brar said...

Congratulations Sir. Wishing many more hits. Regards

GOPAL VERMA said...

Congratulations Suyash. I wish you many many more lakhs of hits. 😁

Anonymous said...

Heartiest congratulations Sir

Anonymous said...

Ye to hona hi thaa, just a matter of time..... great achievement and keep going

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.

Maj Gen SVP Singh said...

Heartiest congratulations Suyash. Perseverance has been your hallmark coupled with a fertile mind in selecting stories and topics of varied interests. The blogs are befitting to be put to a book by you.. This time round, 'Confucius will be Confused'. Wishing you greater success ahead.Aim for sawa lakh now..

ktheLeo (कुश शर्मा) said...

Its a milestone. Good Gooing, keep it up Buddy.

Anil F/ 70 said...

Heartiest Congratulations Suyash on reaching an important Milestone in Your Blogging Journey.Your Creativity, Perseverance,acumen for Satirical Anecdotes with Subtle humour and balanced Analysis of Politico- Social issues have been well Showcased in Your Blogs .Keep at it and Wish You Many more laurels ahead.

Anonymous said...

Wish you a million hits shortly. Your blogs always bring a smile and touch the chord..keep jotting👏😊

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's a first step towards million and hope you get it as a gift from Santa Clauses 🎅 within the current year. Touch the Sky with Glory...

Sudhir said...

Congratulations. All the best for Million👍

V Pramod Kumar said...

Congratulations Suyash. You have a long way ahead. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suyash, congratulations on reaching the interem milestone.Continue in your pursuit

Vasandani said...

Congratulations!!! Suyash

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sir… miles to go Best wishes

Milan said...

Congrats Suyash, a very well deserved milestone and may the March of success continue

Surbhi said...

Your write ups are passion driven, very spirited and straight from your benevolent heart. Keep writing Brig Sharma… you lit up this space!!

Anonymous said...

Suyash, whenever I read your blogs, a sweet smile surely does come on my face. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs, and these blogs are stress busters for me. Keep giving smiles to me and to many more of your bosom friends.

Sunil Misra said...

Suyash, your writings are a treat!! Congratulations on achieving "The Magic Number of 100000"!!!

Sonia G Handa said...

Congratulations and best wishes for your future endeavours

Shirin Deshpande said...

Excellent news of crossing this huge milestone! Yes, it sure must be a proud moment to realise the innumerable smiles on peoples faces as they enjoy the subtle humour & reminisce of old times which invariably get kindled with your blogs! Congratulations sir, and wishing you the best on this literary journey!

Anjan said...

Congratulations.. keep penning down your creative nonsense for us

Anonymous said...

Congratulations sir.

Anonymous said...

Sanjay

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Suyash, many more 👍

Reji Koduvath said...

Writing for pleasure is real enjoyment; monitising it will kill a part of the pleasure.

Our children gave me a few tips - all because I forget my thoughts when I hit my computer. While driving I listen to the radio, observe the billboards and vehicles that I pass by, see someone driving rash, watch the Canadian geese that walk on the roadside - at times trying to cross, etc.

They suggested that I pick up my cellphone and record my thoughts immediately and also click an image of it. Our son added, "Your cellphone is much more powerful than your decade old computer. So, use it aptly."

Anonymous said...

congratulations

M K Choudhary said...

Superb Suyash!
Heartiest congratulations 🙌
Truly amazing and commendable 👍

Anonymous said...

Hearty congratulations Suyash.
Weldone. Keep it up.
👏👏👏

Arvind Kapoor said...

Well done Suyash. You have travelled well, my friend. 😊

Harish Kukreja said...

Excellent Suyash

Ravi Ravada said...

You are the best. Heartiest congratulations

Anonymous said...

Great going Sir ….. it’s a treat to read your articles ….regards

Sofie said...

Its been so lovely Suyash, to walk alongside you on your journey, all these years. Here's wishing you happiness, as you continue to dabble in your passion and ignite our minds!

Sulabh said...

Congratulations!

Karthik Iyer said...

Many Congratulations......Wishing for a speedier Million and beyond ....Regards